How do you calculate your BMI ?
In order to determine your corpulence, the BMI system takes into account your gender, your size and weight. Results are what are gonna suggest your basal mass index.
It's important to realize the BMI is only a point of reference. If you choose to adopt a specific diet, you should reach for a specialized doctor.
How do I translate the BMI result ?
The results coming from the BMI calculation are divided into 7 categories of corpulence. These categories are based on statistics between mortality rate and BMI :
- If the BMI is below 16,5, it goes into the malnourishment category
- If the BMI is between 16,5 and 18,5 it goes into the leanness category
- If the BMI is between 18,5 and 25 it goes into the normal category
- If the BMI is between 25 and 30, it goes into the overweight category
- If the BMI is superior to 30, it goes into the obesity category. Then, there's 3 levels of obesity :
- Moderate obesity : for a BMI between 30 and 35
- Severe obesity : for a BMI between 35 and 40
- Morbid obesity : for a BMI superior to 40
Calculate your BMI, to what end ?
The BMI calculation is essential to know the consequences your fat mass and weight can have on your health. A detailed BMI calculation will even give you more informations.
Depending on your age, morphology and activity, you will know your basal metabolism. A basal metabolism is the energy spent while your body's resting. This can change drastically from one person to another.
The detailed BMI calculation can help you discover your "healthy weight", or ideal weight. This is more precise than the classic BMI because it will tell you which weight will have the less impact on your health. Expressed in pounds, this will tell you exactly the road to take from the weight you are right now.
All these facts are important for a complete health check-up. The calculation of your BMI is the first step to a complete sense of well-being !